Welcome to Evelyn Grace Academy’s Physical Education Department
Our ambition at Evelyn Grace Academy is to develop a visible Sports ethos throughout the school, our local community and school partnerships. We aim to foster an ethos that inspires our students to raise standards of attainment in Physical Education and Sport providing a catalyst for whole school improvement.
We provide an exciting curriculum that embraces diversity in teaching and learning styles, imaginative and innovative use of technology, healthy living and leadership in all aspects of school life.
We encourage our students through Physical Education and Sport to become independent learners, to develop lifelong healthy lifestyles and to become participants in sport and physical activity beyond school and into their adult lives.
We believe we are able to create and deliver a shared vision for the specialism; helping to devise a strategic plan that will inspire our young people and that drives standards of achievement across the Academy that will establish Evelyn Grace as a lead establishment for Physical Education and Sport.
It is our vision that all Evelyn Grace Academy students receive a Physical Education that:
- Creates a safe and stimulating learning environment providing every student with a broad and balanced experience in a wide range of sports and activities
- Encourages pupils to perform to the best of their ability in each lesson and provide them with the opportunity to develop their skills and techniques through purposeful practice
- Develop students’ physical and mental capacity to ensure that they are able to adapt to changing demands and to develop their analytical capacity and their ability to evaluate and improve strengths and weaknesses of themselves and others
- Develops an awareness of healthy lifestyles and fitness, both inside and outside of school, providing information about a range of activities and allowing students to participate in a broad range of extra-curricular activities
We believe that enjoyment is crucial to participation, improvement and excellence.
Our Head of Department is Mr Wingate
Tchoukball, Football, Basketball, Netball, Dance, Table tennis, Rugby, Athletics, Cricket/Tennis
Basketball, Netball, Football, Dance, Fitness, Trampolining, Athletics, Cricket, Rounders
At Evelyn Grace Academy we study the OCR GCSE Physical Education Course.
In Year 10 we teach the Theory Content for both Theory Units and Complete the two controlled assessments.
In year 11 we hone our practical skills and revisit key areas of the theory course in preparation for the summer exam.
The aims of the course are to:
- Encourage candidates to be inspired, moved and challenged by following a broad, coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study and to develop an awareness and appreciation of their own and others’ cultures in relation to Physical Education. They should encourage creativity and decision-making skills to enable them to plan effectively for performances and to respond to changing situations
- They should prepare candidates to make informed decisions about further learning opportunities and career choices
GCSE specifications in Physical Education enable candidates to:
- Become increasingly physically competent through being actively engaged in a range of physical activities
- Become increasingly effective in their performance in different types of physical activity and roles, such as performer, leader and official
- Develop their ability to engage independently and successfully in the processes of different types of physical activity
- Develop and maintain their involvement in physical activity as part of a healthy active lifestyle
A Level PE
At Evelyn Grace Academy we study the OCR AS and A-Level Physical Education.
Students will study the following modules:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Acquiring movement skills
- Socio-cultural studies relating to participation in physical activity
- Comparative studies between the UK, USA and Australia
- Sports Psychology
There will also be a practical controlled assessment in AS and A2 Level.
These specifications will encourage candidates to become increasingly physically competent by:
- Developing the skills and techniques they require to perform effectively in physical activities
- Applying and adapting a wide range of skills and techniques effectively in different types of physical activity
- Developing and applying their skills in different roles, such as performer, leader/coach and official within physical activities
- Applying their skills in different contexts within a physical activity.
These specifications will enable candidates to maintain and develop their involvement and effectiveness in physical activity through developing their knowledge and understanding of factors that enable them and others to be physically active as part of a balanced lifestyle, and as part of a lifelong involvement in an active and healthy lifestyle; developing their knowledge and understanding of the relationship between skill, strategy/composition and body and mind readiness so as to ensure that both their own and other’s performance.
We provide access to a range of enrichment activities for all year groups including:
- PE Extra Curricular Activities
- Luol Deng's Basketball Masterclass at EGA
- How to support your child:
- Provide your child with appropriate kit to wear for Physical Education lessons. This should be the EGA PE kit, available from reception. Students should all have appropriate footwear, including indoor trainers as well as astro-turf or football boots for use on the all-weather surface
- All students should be encouraged to participate in one of our many extra curricular clubs and practices, this will mean staying after school.
- Where possible parents should support the development of their child by allowing them to stay at school for organized practices and clubs
- Many students will be invited to represent EGA at sports or attend clubs, letters should be returned, signed, as quickly as possible to ensure that practices, clubs and teams run efficiently