Welcome to Evelyn Grace Academy's Media Studies Department
Our Head of Department is: Mr Amoah
Examination board: OCR
What we aim to do?
Media Studies is a challenging and creative course that helps to improve analytical skills, develop technical skills and understand how media influences our lives.
What will I study?
The content of the course covers: understanding media language; the representations of different events, issues, places and social groups; audience; and media industries.
To begin, students will develop an understanding of the different media that affects us on a daily basis. We will look at film, computer games, the music industry, magazines, television, websites, advertising, and at how they impact our lives. Students will then move on to work creatively, producing pieces of coursework based on their studies of the various media industries. Work is varied and creative, using skills gained through English and also learning new skills using video equipment, digital cameras, music software and Photoshop.
How will I be assessed?
- Written Examination - 70%
- Non-Exam Assessment - 30%
What skills will I gain?
- Develops critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Develops appreciation and critical understanding of the role of the media in daily life
- Combines practical and theoretical knowledge and skills through opportunities for personal engagement and creativity
- Encourages an understanding of how to use key media concepts to analyse media products and their various contexts
What can the subject lead to?
Being media literate is an essential skill in modern life. Interpreting the media that we see on a daily basis and understanding how it is created and the messages behind it are a key part in many jobs. This subject will help you progress onto A level (and beyond) courses in media related qualifications.
It is a useful step towards an abundance of careers with media at their heart , such as journalism, researchers, marketing and Public Relations. It also equips you with new skills that can help to support with art, design, technology and graphics.